BEFORE APPLYING YOUR TAN
PREPARING THE SKIN
Prepping your skin makes all the difference for the best result possible.
With these tips, applying self tanning products products and keeping your tan looking good will be easy:
- Exfoliate and moisturise your skin the day before you apply the self tan. Make sure you pay attention to problem dry areas like knees, ankles, and elbows.
- Any shaving or waxing needs to be completed at least 2 days before you do your tanning treatment so the pores have time to close (this prevents sitting in the pores).
- The day before you apply your tanning products, don’t use high pH shower products, any oil based products, shower moisturisers or soap bars (they act as a barrier against your skin and which could affect and prevent the fast acting tanning agents to develop on your skin).
- Make sure your skin is clean and dry before applying tanning products.
- While moisturising is great - please keep in mind that too much moisture can cause any tanning products to slide right off the skin.
- Small amounts of moisturiser can be used on areas where tanning products usually absorb too much (dry spots) like your elbows and knees - this should help stop those areas from being darker than the rest of your body when tanned.
- Do not apply fragrances, perfumes, deodorants or any cosmetics on the day you apply your tanning products.
TIPS FOR AFTER
YOU APPLY YOUR TAN
THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP AFTER APPLYING YOUR SELF TAN IS THE SHOWER PROCESS
After you’ve left your tanning products on your skin to develop (for an hour - or longer, if you choose depending on shade level you wish to achieve), shower quickly for only 45 secs, with just lukewarm water.
The brown bronzers will wash away then, but the fast tan actives will continue to work and deepen further.
DO NOT USE USE HOT WATER.
Using hot water actually stops the development of the tan actives during the development time.
This is a very common mistake people make, especially during winter.
Once you have showered, you’re able to wear whatever you wish, and it won’t stain your bedding.
AFTER THE TAN
- Wear loose clothing as tight clothing or underwear may cause marks on your tan applied. Wear loose fitting shoes also.
- Shower lightly in cold – lukewarm water for 45 seconds ONLY after your desired development time. Use plain water, don’t use shower gels, scrubs, shampoos or loofah during the first 24 hours after your treatment.
- Pat your skin dry. Do not rub or scrub your skin.
- Moisturise your skin every day after applying your tanning products.
- Use the Hawaiian Tan Gradual Tan so the tan is continually being topped up - this makes your tan lasts longer.
- After the fifth day, you can exfoliate with a soft body polish on a daily basis, to help your skin absorb even more moisturizer and keep it looking and feeling gorgeous. This also helps the tan fade naturally, rather than in patches.